21.8.13

Pattern * popcorn blanket

Hello there,

Apologies for my absence. I have been travelling through a very crochet minded country... I will post about that soon. Meanwhile I have not been answering comments and emails, but I will get back to you!

But first this: a bit later then anticipated (and promised) the written pattern of my popcorn blanket is finally ready. I tested it, and it should be okay, but please let me know if I made any mistakes.

ByHaafner, crochet, popcorn, bobble stitch throw, blanket, powder pink, pattern




















Which makes me wonder: has any of you experiences with a computer program to write crochet patterns and charts? Like this one by Stitch Works? Or another one?

I'd like to publish more patterns and make charts for my doilies, but it's rather time consuming – and I'm not very good at drawing a neat chart I'm afraid. Love to hear from you about this.

Some notes beforehand...
– I use American terminology.
– As the first dc of each new round, I chain 2. I know 3 chains is more common as an alternative for a dc, but I think 2 ch gives a neater result.
– If the pattern calls for a 3dctog, the first 3dctog of a new round will be [chain 2 + 2 dc].
– A popcorn is made of 5 completed double crochets in 1 one stitch, they are then joined.
– It is a classic square and there exist a lot of very similar patterns. I adapted one of those for this blanket (e.g. I wanted the popcorn stitches really to pop, so I made them bigger).
– I made 20 squares for this plaid, then I ran out of yarn. Ha! I used a 5 mm hook. Each individual square measures 26x26 cm.
– For those of you who prefer a crochet chart, I'm making one for this pattern, I just need a bit more time...

ByHaafner, crochet, popcorn, bobble stitch throw, blanket, powder pink, pattern





















The square
To begin: ch 8, close with a sl st to first sc.

Round 1
[dc3tog, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 3] 3 times, dc3tog, ch 2 dc3tog, chain 1, 1 dc (this is to close the round in the top stitch of the first 3dctog of this round. This way you begin your next round just on the right spot and you don't have to cut your yarn!)

Round 2
dc3tog, *ch 2, 3 dc in ch 2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 3, dc3tog in same space to make a corner, repeat from * 2 times, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 1, 1 dc (to close the round)

Round 3
dc3tog, *ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 3 dc of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 3, dc3tog in same space to make a corner, repeat from * 2 times, chain 2, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 3 dc of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 1, 1 dc (to close the round)

Round 4
dc3tog, *ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 7 dc of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 3, dc3tog in same space to make a corner, repeat from * 2 times, chain 2, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 7 dc of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 1, 1 dc (to close the round)

Round 5 This is the round where the popcorn fun starts!
dc3tog, *ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, popcorn in next stitch of the previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 3, dc3tog in same space to make a corner, repeat from * 2 times, chain 2, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, popcorn, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 1, 1 dc (to close the round)

Round 6
dc3tog, *ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, popcorn in next st of the previous round, 3 dc in each next st of the previous round, popcorn, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 3, dc3tog in same space to make a corner, repeat from * 2 times, chain 2, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, popcorn in next st of the previous round, 3 dc in each next st of the previous round, popcorn, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 1, 1 dc (to close the round)

Round 7
dc3tog, *ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, popcorn in next st of the previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 3 stitches of the previous round, popcorn, 1 dc in of the next 3 next stitches of previous round, popcorn,1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 3, dc3tog in same space to make a corner, repeat from * 2 times, ch 2, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 5 dc of previous round, popcorn in next st of the previous round, 1 dc in each of the next 3 st of the previous round, popcorn, 1 dc in the next 3 stitches, popcorn, 1 dc in each of the next 5 st of previous round, 2 dc in ch2 space of previous round, ch 2, dc3tog, ch 1, 1 dc (to close the round)

Round 8, 9 and 10 are the same as round 7, except that you increase every round with one popcorn following the same increasing scheme as the previous rounds. Which leads to 6 popcorns on each side of your square in round 10.
Of course you could make more of less rows, according to your taste (and your amount of yarn!).

Joining the squares
I single crocheted the backs of the squares together with the same colour yarn.

The border
Borders really are the cherry - or icing, if you prefer sugar ;-) - on the cake, and I do like a big border. However, I felt that this one needed a simple border, so I restrained myself.
Using a contrasting colour I simply single crocheted one row along the squares. In each corner I made 3 sc.
The 2nd row of the border is also made of single crochets, alternating with popcorns. The pictures below shows where I made the popcorns.

ByHaafner, crochet, popcorn, bobble stitch throw, blanket, powder pink, pattern

ByHaafner, crochet, popcorn, bobble stitch throw, blanket, powder pink, pattern





















In case you give it a try: I hope you like this pattern as much as I do! I'd love to see the result.

I hope to be back here soon with some delicious crochet work (not mine) and new yarn (mine!).
Thanks for dropping by & all the best.
♦♦

52 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited to start this pattern. I've been checking everyday. Now for the hard part....trying to decide what color to use. Thanks for posting! I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment! I'm glad you like it. And I'd love to hear on which colour you decide. :-)

      Delete
    2. I thought that a dusty pale teal would be pretty and I found exactly what I wanted. It's Caron Simply Soft in Woodland Heather. I love it! I found it in several places...Wal-Mart, Annie's Catalog, etc. Here's a link. http://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=21258
      I think I'll do the border in a pearl cream.

      Delete
  2. Oh, so pretty! Thanks for the pattern! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so beautiful!! Thank you for sharing this gorgeous pattern and all your hard work!! Happy crocheting! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat een prachtige deken heb je gemaakt, het is echt heel mooi geworden. Dank je wel voor je patroon en toelichting. Fijne dag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing the pattern! So very pretty!! Wishing you a lovely day! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've asked the same question on my own blog- about software to create charts, but had no replies, so actually I'm glad to hear about stitchworks from you! Good luck finding alternatives and please post about it if you do!

    Jenx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Stitch works is the only one I could find, but I'm sure there must be more options. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
    2. Sorry to say that I have spent a decent amount of time lately, looking for crochet software on English, German, and even French pages but have no been successful either (apart from StitchWorks). Please keep me posted if ever you find an alternative!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your comment. Yes, so far I wasn't lucky finding anything else. Have you tried StitchWorks?

      Delete
  7. Gracias por el patrón.
    Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Annemarie's.

    Best,
    Sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2013/08/state-fair-blue-ribbon-yarny-goodness.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll check out your blog too, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  9. Love it love it!!! So gorgeous! Oh and I found some beautiful edging patterns the other day here: http://thedomesticdash.com/simple-luxury/
    I read you were looking for an edging for the hexagon afghan ;) xx Carmen from Crafty Queens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing - those borders are very lovely indeed! I love the combination with the fabric too. I've put them om my ever growing to-make-list!

      Delete
  10. Hello. I just wanted to say what a beautiful blog you have. Beautiful creations and a beautiful talent. This blanket is truly gorgeous!

    Have a super day

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa,

      Wow - thanks, you've just made my day super with your sweet words... I really, truly and utterly love your work and secretly hope you will eventually start blogging about it again! ;-)

      Thanks and have a great day too,

      Haafner

      Delete
  11. Wat een geweldig mooi kleed is het geworden, wat wil je ook met zo'n mooi patroon. Durf het haast niet te vragen, maar heb je het patroon ook in het Nederlands.... Lieve groet, Ina te Emmen

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is stunning, I am definitely making a throw in this pattern! Thanks for posting the details and yay for Vanessa liking your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found you through Madelief and she is right: this is a beautiful blog!

    I love this plaid. I think I'll try myself. Thank you for the pattern!

    Regards

    Garden Chair

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blanket is absolutely gorgeous!
    Hugs, Roni :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for this pattern been looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I was wondering if you had made the diagram yet? :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Would love to know how much yarn you used for this. May have to add to my list. And wait for the chart. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just happened upon this on Pinterest. Imagine one very thrilled lady when I traced it back to your blogpost...only to find the pattern! You sweet one, you! Thank you, thank you! This is on my short term to do list. Love bobbles, love pink...must have! Woooooo-hooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving your blanket, Can you tell me how much yarn to use? I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What type of yarn did you use? Also, what size hook?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm making this blanket for my daughter Kessa, who will be turning 1 in November ... I'm not very good at reading patterns but after a few tries, I mastered this pattern and LOVE how it looks!!! Thank you thank you for posting this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you have any problems with the squares getting wavy on the sides? I am having trouble making the squares flat and squared unless I pull it tight at the angles...

      Delete
  22. Can you please do the chart ,and notify me . Will be very grateful . Thx in advance

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely blanket! I would love to make it for my friend, but i can't seem to figure out the pattern. I'm from Denmark, so the language might be it ;) Do you have a video or a diagram? It's already in the 1. and 2. round i goes all wrong :( Hope to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. what us the size of the hook that you used?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi :-) would it be ok with you if I wanted to get it translated into Danish?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can you please provide more details on how to start and end a round? I've been trying all day and couldn't figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! I absolutely love your work!! What are the chances of it being done as a graph/chart? I know they're time consuming but I thought I'd ask as this is one of my favourites. I'd love to follow along and make one for myself but I just can't follow patterns like this. ):

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing this pattern and your crochet talent:) I enjoy seeing what is on your hook!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for shearing your pattern!!! The blancket is gorgeous and I really love yor blog. The pictures are all lovely and your works inspiring and beautiful.
    I do not understand the "dc to close the round" but I am knitting this blancket anyway and I am loving it. Many many thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello from Turkey. I like so much this lovely blanked and I started but have some problems especially in 7. round. Popcorns and square aren't shapely. Can you please do the chart? Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Is there a chart for this pattern? Having difficulty with starting and ending the rounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it... Finally. ;-) Hope to have it online in a week or so.

      Delete
  32. Your popcorn blanket is so beautiful. Found it after seeing Vanessa's gorgeous version and have been hooking up a trial square. A couple of pattern queries! When you start a new round I am guessing you go back slightly to make the first cluster in the 2 ch space just to the right of where you finish the previous round. Is that right? Also in round 4 I think there is a typo. I seem to have 7 dc stitches from the previous round to make dcs in not 5. This makes sense as in the previous round there were 3 from the round before that and 4 more were added, 2 in each ch space either side of the original 3 which makes 7 not 5. Is that right or have I missed something vital? Thank you so much for the gorgeous pattern and wealth of inspiration. Have a lovely weekend! Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! And yes, you're right, that was a typo in round 4. Sorry about that and thanks for pointing it out. I changed it now.
      Regarding your other question: if you close the round with a dc (a substitute for 2 of the 3 chains that make the other corners) there should be no need to go back. However, if you prefer to make regular last corner (chain 3) and close it with a slip stitch, then you should slightly go back indeed. That would work fine too!
      Hope this answers your question. Also, I am FINALLY drawing the chart for this pattern so I hope to have it online in a week or so... Maybe that helps too,
      Happy crocheting!

      Delete
    2. Oh my Goodness! I have been looking for this pattern!!! I made this blanket (in white without the contrasting color) and couple pillows from these squares 33 years ago before I was married, but I lost the pattern and I haven't crocheted since. I have been looking again for the pattern for the last couple of years. We joke that this is my husband's "blankie". He wraps in it everyday when he sits and reads. I think we need matching ones after 33 years together. :) Thank you so much for figuring out this pattern!

      Delete
  33. Hello and thank you for such a lovely pattern ! I found you via Coco Rose Diaries - am delighted! I couldn't work out round 4, I think it's maybe 'dc in each of the 7 dc's of the previous row' ? Instead of 5 ? It's the only way I could make it work and it seems to be that in the photo too... (Because in round 3 there are 2 dc's in the chain space + 3 dc's + 2 dc's in the chain space in previous row makes 7..) am I right? Thanks! Mine will mainly be charcoal grey, but with a sulphur coloured border. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Yes, you are completely right. Sorry about that and thanks for pointing it out! I changed it in the pattern.
      Your choice of colours sound great. Love to see the result.
      Happy crocheting!

      Delete
  34. Hello,
    I saw this blanket in its day, but thought it was way out of my league. Now that I've already stitched a cotton one I feel more confident. Besides Coco Rose Diaries broght me back to you.
    I was wondering the yarn you used as I'd like to make it with Drops Alpaca, but I'm not sure about the thickness.
    Thank you,
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cristina,

      Thanks for your message! Glad you like it.
      I used an acrylic yarn for this blanket, and a 5 mm hook.

      All best, xh

      Delete
  35. Unbelievably beautiful works! Congrats! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome Blog And Your Blog So Good And I Have Read Your Blog It IS Very interesting and useful thank you for posting and sharing with us.
    Throw blanket.

    ReplyDelete